2006-01-05

"Twenty for Five Dollars"

I just returned from shopping at a grocery store in which some of their items were priced at "Twenty For Five Dollars". After calculating for a moment, it was easy to see that the items were selling for 25 cents apiece.

Now why couldn't they have just said that in the first place?

If I had wanted to buy twenty of them (which I didn't ), I could have easily calculated the cost myself. Instead, they made me first divide 5 dollars by 20 to obtain the per item price. And then I had to multiply that quotient by the number of items that I actually wanted.

I realize that the store's managers price things that way in the hopes that you will be stupid enough to actually buy twenty of them. But their little strategy backfires when it comes to me. As a kind of protest, whenever I encounter such silly pricing tactics I purposely buy less than the suggested number of items, even if I had originally intended otherwise!